Skip to main content

2016 Business Plan Ideas - Part 1

Wednesday, December 30th 2015

It's amazing how many things can change in a year. Normally at this time of the year, I have a lot of extra time to kill. Time to get organized, plan, think about the next year.... This year I am super busy. I am working on so many projects, I have so many quotes to work on, new customers I'm setting up, it's pure chaos and yet I feel more organized and productive than ever before.

I am still working on my goals for 2016 as well as my business plan for 2016. Amazingly they're not exactly the same thing. I talked about goals on Monday, I think they're more related to personal dreams and interests. My business plan is more focused on business which will help me reach some of my personal goals.

Here are some of the ideas I want to implement.

1.  Instead of just setting objectives for the year and then forgetting about them, I plan to review my plans every week. I have a meeting every Monday at 9:30 am, which means I'm home later than usual, as I don't have to leave my house until 9. I have been spending that time checking my work emails, sending out quick responses and follow ups needed. I've decided, that starting next Monday, January 4th - I'm going to spend that time reviewing what I accomplished last week and what I plan/need to accomplish in the week ahead. How can I make this week more productive than last week? What worked and what didn't?

2.  Having a calendar system that works without a lot of stress. I use a calendar on my phone (whatever came with the phone), and an Outlook calendar at work that is attached to my work email. Here's the problem. I can't get them to automatically sync. I can go in and push all kinds of buttons and eventually it sort of syncs, some of the items, but not all and I'm never quite sure how I did it. Yes, I know I'm not the techiest of people. I'm trying out the Google Calendar this week. Here's how that's working so far. Once I installed it, it automatically synced everything from my generic phone calendar. However, when I signed onto Google Calendar on my desktop (I had to look up how to do that,) it's not syncing up with the Google Calendar on my phone. I've tried googling that, but so far haven't found the answer. If anyone knows how to do this, please fill me in!

3.  Read a book or two on being more productive. Here's the thing, I'm a huge reader. I read every day. They're just not self help or business type books. I read fiction and non-fiction - but they're stories. I could read all day, everyday - but it doesn't help me with my goals or plans. It does help me relax when I have time to read. I tend to read during my lunch break or before bed. Anyway... There are so many books about productivity that I am going to make time to read a couple. Here are some of the books on my list. (really, they're on my Amazon wish list)

- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey
- Today Matters by John C. Maxwell
- Fire Your Boss by Stephen Pollan (I bought this many months ago and still haven't read it)
- Knowing your value: Women, Money, and Getting what you're worth by Mika Brzezinski
- Getting things done by David Allen

There are many more, but those are some to give you an idea of what I mean.

4. Take effective breaks during the day. Some days I walk into work and don't come up for air until I leave at 4:30. Those days are productive, but leave me feeling drained. I was in a meeting a couple of weeks ago, our speaker, Sandra Roszel, taught us 7 one minute exercise that can help you feel better mentally and physically. These ideas are helpful for everyone.
- Check in; become aware of your posture, breathing, and tension
- Tap into your joy; think about something that makes you happy or look at picture of something that makes you happy and tap your forehead. If you're feeling tired, tap on your cheekbones and breath.
- Morning Affirmations; For example - "Today is going to be a great day!" say it out loud and say it every day. You can even say affirmations for other people.
- Breath; take a few deep strengthening breaths
- Move; Get up and walk around the office for 1-2 minutes.
- Smile, hum, or laugh. Sometimes I will just pull up a video or jokes that make me laugh (on my phone). It's nice to take a moment to relax your mind. Jokes that always make me crack up are those autocorrect text messages. You can find them on google. I sometimes laugh so hard I'm crying.
- Evening Gratitude; buy a journal or notebook and get into the habit of writing down 3 things that you are grateful for on this day. Once you start this, you will get into the habit of looking for things throughout your day. They can be small things too, like I got all of the laundry done today. Sometimes that's a huge accomplishment.

Ok, I think that's enough for today. I will write more asap. My list is a work in progress, so I'm trying to share my thoughts as I get them organized.

MW
Copyright 2015

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building Self-Discipline; Step 1

So how do we build self-discipline? First we figure out where we need self-discipline in our life. What are the areas in your life that you are struggling with? These are usually things you want to do, but for some reason you don't do them. Here are some ideas. Exercising, cooking meals, laundry, networking, de-cluttering, organizing your desk at work, yoga, meditation... the list could go on and on. Think about your list for a minute. Now, write down 2 or 3 things that you know you want to do, but keep putting off. These are things that you know would make an impact in your life. Now, next to each item, write down why you're not doing them AND why you want to do them. # selfdiscipline # lifehack # gettingstuffdone # liveyourbestlife  #jimrohnquote MW Copyright 2017

The Ins and Outs of Networking

I thought I'd talk about networking for those who are just starting out in their networking journey. And maybe, just maybe, someone who's a pro, will learn something or get a new idea. When you start out on your journey of networking, you're not sure what you're going to find. If you're like me, you're a little intimidated by everyone. They all seem so put together, so confident. It feels like everyone knows everyone else and you don't know anyone! You might sit there thinking "What the heck am I doing here?" But guess what? What you're feeling is 100% normal. And guess what else? We all felt the same way when we started networking. Because I'm one of those people who remembers feeling that way, I make it a point to go out of my way to talk to newbies, show them around, introduce them to others, give them networking advice. It's funny because the very first networking group I ever attended is the one that I'm currently the

How would self discipline benefit you?

Picture your life a year from now if you actually accomplished the things on your list. How would this benefit your life? Seriously, just stop, close your eyes and imagine a year from now. For the past year you have ______. (Fill in the blank with something from your list.) # selfdiscipline # livingyourbestlife # lovingyourlife # happiness # workhard # besuccessful