Skip to main content

The Ins and Outs of Networking


I thought I'd talk about networking for those who are just starting out in their networking journey. And maybe, just maybe, someone who's a pro, will learn something or get a new idea.

When you start out on your journey of networking, you're not sure what you're going to find. If you're like me, you're a little intimidated by everyone. They all seem so put together, so confident. It feels like everyone knows everyone else and you don't know anyone! You might sit there thinking "What the heck am I doing here?" But guess what? What you're feeling is 100% normal. And guess what else? We all felt the same way when we started networking. Because I'm one of those people who remembers feeling that way, I make it a point to go out of my way to talk to newbies, show them around, introduce them to others, give them networking advice.

It's funny because the very first networking group I ever attended is the one that I'm currently the president of. If someone had told me back then that I'd someday be the President and run the meeting every week, I would have told them they were crazy! However, I've been doing it for over a year now. I've come a long way!!

Here are my top 12 networking tips:


  1. Just walk up to people and introduce yourself. It doesn't matter if they're alone or in a group. We're all there to meet new people and we want to know you. We also want you to know who we are. 
  2. Wearing a name tag helps a lot. Believe it or not, more people will come up to you when you have a name tag on. I'm not sure what the reason is behind it, but I've seen it happen time and again. 
  3. Do not go to a networking event and try to talk to everyone there, just focus on 1-2 or 3-4. I spend the entire event building relationships. Sometimes it's with people I just met, sometimes it's with people I've met once before or twice before, or 100 times before. It doesn't matter how many times you've met with someone and networked with them, just keep building the relationship. If you spread yourself too thin, saying hello to everyone, but not building any actual relationships, you won't get anything out of it.
  4. There are many networking opportunities out there (depending on where you live.) I live in the Northern Virginia area, so there are a lot. Look for them, see what works with your schedule and try them out. You don't have anything to lose by going once. When you're there, look around, note how you feel, what's the atmosphere, are they friendly? It's important that you join groups that you feel comfortable in. Not every group is for everyone. I've attended several meetings where I just wasn't feeling it. I'm sure they were great groups, they just weren't for me.
  5. When you do join a group - ATTEND! GO! SHOW UP! BE THERE! Before you join a group, look at your calendar and make sure that it's going to work for you. It can't be something you do if nothing else comes up. You have to show up! Build your relationships. Trust me, if you show up, you'll understand the quote above about finding your tribe. 
  6. Practice your 60 second elevator pitch. Practice and have more than one. If you like, you can say the same thing every week, but eventually I think people stop hearing you. However, a tag line that you say at the end of your 60 seconds is awesome. 
  7. Do not take people's business cards and automatically add them to your email list. Make sure you ask people before you add them to anything. Building your email list isn't about having a million people on the list, it's about having the right people on the list, people who are interested in what you're sending out.
  8. Do not walk around handing out your business card like it's candy. You might as well just throw them out. If you just introduce yourself and give your business card, people won't remember you. They'll go back to their office, look through their cards, wonder who in the heck you were, and most likely toss the card. Give your card to people you spend time talking to. And of course, if someone asks for your card, by all means give them one. 
  9. One more regarding business cards... please make sure your business card is legible and that it explains exactly what you do. If you've read my blog before, you'll know I use Camcard and I categorize people by industry. One of my categories is called "No Clue." This category is for people whose business card doesn't tell me what they do. For example "Business Solutions LLC" or those who have their business name, their name, their contact info and none of that gives me a clue as to what they do. Add to that, I've looked these companies up online and still can't figure out what they do. Maybe the category should be "Over my head."   
  10. Be interested in other people. Networking starts with you genuinely wanting to know about other people. What do they do, how can you help them? What kind of people are they looking to meet? Who can you introduce them to? When you're interested in other people, they'll be interested in you too. 
  11. Don't be intimidated by people who do the same thing you do. If you live in a big area like I do, you know there is plenty of business out there. Far more than any one person can handle. Some of the networking groups I'm in have exclusive seats, while other's don't. Either way is fine with me. I'm an insurance agent. Even if I sat and wrote policies 24 hours a day for the rest of my life, I couldn't write everyone's. 
  12. Look for a mentor. Once you begin networking and meeting people, you will find someone that strikes a chord with you. You just have that friendship chemistry, you can see they're seasoned at networking. Ask for their advice. Watch them. Realize that while they might seem totally cool, calm, and collected, inside they feel exactly the same way you do! 


For me, the most important aspect of networking has been the friends I've made. Sometimes I'll be at one of my groups and I look around and think about how thankful I am to know each and every one of them. Their my peeps, my tribe. Yes, we network, yes we do business with each other, but honestly the most important part is the friendship we share, the fun, the good, the bad. the happy, the sad. I am so blessed by the people I've come to know through networking. My life wouldn't be the same without them.

MW
Copyright 2016

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building Self-Discipline; Step 1

So how do we build self-discipline? First we figure out where we need self-discipline in our life. What are the areas in your life that you are struggling with? These are usually things you want to do, but for some reason you don't do them. Here are some ideas. Exercising, cooking meals, laundry, networking, de-cluttering, organizing your desk at work, yoga, meditation... the list could go on and on. Think about your list for a minute. Now, write down 2 or 3 things that you know you want to do, but keep putting off. These are things that you know would make an impact in your life. Now, next to each item, write down why you're not doing them AND why you want to do them. # selfdiscipline # lifehack # gettingstuffdone # liveyourbestlife  #jimrohnquote MW Copyright 2017

How would self discipline benefit you?

Picture your life a year from now if you actually accomplished the things on your list. How would this benefit your life? Seriously, just stop, close your eyes and imagine a year from now. For the past year you have ______. (Fill in the blank with something from your list.) # selfdiscipline # livingyourbestlife # lovingyourlife # happiness # workhard # besuccessful