Skip to main content

What is your learning style and how can it help you organize your office?

Sunday, April 17th, 2017

This past week was a fantastic week all the way around.

I had my 2 week dental followup and was told that I am a fast healer! Everything is going well.

I was back out networking and seeing my peeps! Everyone is giving me so much support. I am lucky to have such amazing friends. I was also back to working in my office with my fantastic co-workers.

On Thursday, I met one of my hero's who was speaking at one of my networking groups. Her name is Kerry Thomas, the owner of "Conquer the Chaos LLC." Her topic was "Getting organized in 2016!" Was that fate or what? I enjoyed meeting and talking to her so much and look forward to seeing her again soon!

The main focus was getting your office organized. One important step to this, is knowing your learning style. A big A-HA moment for me, was realizing that not every system, works for everyone. Our brains are all different and therefore we all need to find the systems that work for us. That's why there are so many "Right" ways to do things. And if you've been feeling bad because you've tried to follow someone's office organization ideas and find that you just can't keep up with them or that they don't help you. Stop beating yourself up and realize that it's ok. That's why I have been reworking my organization strategies all year. I try something and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't so I try something else. Now I can stop feeling like a failure when something doesn't work for me.

If you want to know more about learning styles & figuring out your own, you can find several different tests online. You will find many different learning styles out there, but there are only 3 main learning styles. All other styles fall into one of the 3 main categories. They are: Visual learners, Auditory learners, and Kinesthetic learners. You may be one specific style of learner or a combination of all three. Usually you will lean more towards one. For me, I am a visual learner about 80 %, followed by a little Auditory, and even less Kinesthetic.  I had my husband do the test, he was about 50 % Kinesthetic, 30 % Visual, and 20 % Auditory. Much less distinct than mine, but he still leaned towards one.

When you're setting up your office here are some of the things you should be mindful of based on your learning style.

Visual learners
Always have good light
Color Code
Clear your desk
Color code your calendar
Use a dry erase board
Use an open file system
Avoid stacking trays (use on the wall trays or side by side)
Hang a year at a glance calendar (or even 3 months at a time)

Auditory learners
Need to be able to talk out loud to themselves
Learn by hearing, so listening to webinars are good learning tools.
Use voice memos
Use chimes or timers
Read out loud
Have an accountability partner/coach
Talk out loud when setting up your office. "I'm doing to put my folders over here." "I'm going to put envelopes in this drawer. "

Kinesthetic learners
Need to be able to move a lot
Build in breaks to get up and walk or move around
Use sticky notes (but don't overuse)
Need an ergonomic chair
Set up zones in your office that allow you to get up and move around
Mix in textures with your office supplies - leather, wicker, metal, etc...

Remember, you're probably a combination of all 3 learning styles, so you can use things on either list that you think will help you.

I hope this helps post will help everyone in their quest for organization as much as it's helped me! If you find more information on setting up your office based on learning styles, please let me know because I haven't found any.



MW
Copyright 2016

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building Self-Discipline; Step 1

So how do we build self-discipline? First we figure out where we need self-discipline in our life. What are the areas in your life that you are struggling with? These are usually things you want to do, but for some reason you don't do them. Here are some ideas. Exercising, cooking meals, laundry, networking, de-cluttering, organizing your desk at work, yoga, meditation... the list could go on and on. Think about your list for a minute. Now, write down 2 or 3 things that you know you want to do, but keep putting off. These are things that you know would make an impact in your life. Now, next to each item, write down why you're not doing them AND why you want to do them. # selfdiscipline # lifehack # gettingstuffdone # liveyourbestlife  #jimrohnquote MW Copyright 2017

The Ins and Outs of Networking

I thought I'd talk about networking for those who are just starting out in their networking journey. And maybe, just maybe, someone who's a pro, will learn something or get a new idea. When you start out on your journey of networking, you're not sure what you're going to find. If you're like me, you're a little intimidated by everyone. They all seem so put together, so confident. It feels like everyone knows everyone else and you don't know anyone! You might sit there thinking "What the heck am I doing here?" But guess what? What you're feeling is 100% normal. And guess what else? We all felt the same way when we started networking. Because I'm one of those people who remembers feeling that way, I make it a point to go out of my way to talk to newbies, show them around, introduce them to others, give them networking advice. It's funny because the very first networking group I ever attended is the one that I'm currently the

How would self discipline benefit you?

Picture your life a year from now if you actually accomplished the things on your list. How would this benefit your life? Seriously, just stop, close your eyes and imagine a year from now. For the past year you have ______. (Fill in the blank with something from your list.) # selfdiscipline # livingyourbestlife # lovingyourlife # happiness # workhard # besuccessful