Skip to main content

Work in progress and Networking questions

Sunday, February 21st, 2016

Major things accomplished this week which is a miracle in itself because the week was again really busy. Worked a little on my vision board, it's a work in progress at least.

On Thursday I was in Leadership Prince William. For those of you who may not know what it is, here's a link so that you can check it out. http://leadershipprincewilliam.org/ Absolutely phenomenal program that I highly recommend to everyone. It's honestly the best thing I've ever been a part of. So, Thursday was our Heath and Human Services day. This couldn't have come at a better time because it really made me look more at charities in our area and gave me ideas to help figure out which charities I want to support. It's really difficult because if you have a charitable heart and mind, you want to help every single one you hear about. They're all so amazing and do so many good things that you'll find yourself thinking "I want to help them. Then you hear about another one, Oh, I want to help them too. Then you hear about a need in the community and you think I can help with that. Then another need, I can do that too." Before you know it, you're overwhelmed and not able to full commit to any one charity.  I truly want to help our local community, so I'm still narrowing it down and trying to figure out which ones mean the most to me, personally. It's a difficult process because they're all so worthy.

The last thing I want to talk about this weekend is Networking. How much of it is enough and how much is too much? How do you decide how many groups to belong to? How much of your time during the week is spent networking?

Here's where I currently stand with my groups. I have 2 groups that meet twice a month. I have 3 groups that meet once a week. I have one group that meets 1 whole day per month, and I'm a chamber member, which means that I attend 1-3 various functions each week. On top of that I have random coffee and lunch appointments with business partners throughout the month.

Here is my schedule so far this year. This doesn't include travel time or meetings with business partners.

January
Week 1 - 9.5 hours
Week 2 - 9 hours
Week 3 - 7 hours plus one whole day event
Week 4 - 8.5 hours
February 
Week 1 - 8.5 hours
Week 2 - 8 hours plus one whole day conference
Week 3 - 7 hours plus one whole day event

That's more than one whole day per week. Probably about 2 1/2 when you add in travel and other 1 on 1 meetings. Unfortunately everything is spread out throughout the week so it's not like I have 2 1/2 whole days of continuous "working time." Thankfully, my amazingly awesome employers allow me to do everything at home that I can do in my office, so when I do a lot of events close to home, I work from home before, after, or in between.

I'd really love to know how everyone else manages their networking schedules. What works and doesn't work. How do you handle being on the board of your groups? To this point, I am limiting my board participation to 2 groups, and presidency to only one board at a time. That way, the group I am president of gets the most of my focus.

Maybe reading through what I do will force you to sit down and figure out what you do, so you can respond with what works for you and why/how you choose the groups you commit to. This is an ongoing challenge for everyone I know, so all thoughts are welcome.

Until next time.

MW

Copyright 2016


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building Self-Discipline; Step 1

So how do we build self-discipline? First we figure out where we need self-discipline in our life. What are the areas in your life that you are struggling with? These are usually things you want to do, but for some reason you don't do them. Here are some ideas. Exercising, cooking meals, laundry, networking, de-cluttering, organizing your desk at work, yoga, meditation... the list could go on and on. Think about your list for a minute. Now, write down 2 or 3 things that you know you want to do, but keep putting off. These are things that you know would make an impact in your life. Now, next to each item, write down why you're not doing them AND why you want to do them. # selfdiscipline # lifehack # gettingstuffdone # liveyourbestlife  #jimrohnquote MW Copyright 2017

The Ins and Outs of Networking

I thought I'd talk about networking for those who are just starting out in their networking journey. And maybe, just maybe, someone who's a pro, will learn something or get a new idea. When you start out on your journey of networking, you're not sure what you're going to find. If you're like me, you're a little intimidated by everyone. They all seem so put together, so confident. It feels like everyone knows everyone else and you don't know anyone! You might sit there thinking "What the heck am I doing here?" But guess what? What you're feeling is 100% normal. And guess what else? We all felt the same way when we started networking. Because I'm one of those people who remembers feeling that way, I make it a point to go out of my way to talk to newbies, show them around, introduce them to others, give them networking advice. It's funny because the very first networking group I ever attended is the one that I'm currently the

How would self discipline benefit you?

Picture your life a year from now if you actually accomplished the things on your list. How would this benefit your life? Seriously, just stop, close your eyes and imagine a year from now. For the past year you have ______. (Fill in the blank with something from your list.) # selfdiscipline # livingyourbestlife # lovingyourlife # happiness # workhard # besuccessful